Posted on | November 13, 2006 | No Comments
So you want to be a star, huh? Well, here’s a genuine opportunity to be part of a hit show that tours the World. The Blue Man Group, a high-energy combo of lights, pyrotechnics, dance, music, acting, magic, comedy, and, of course, blue paint, is currently recruiting Blue Men and Women. If you can sing and dance, and/or play an instrument, oh and have a bit of talent, you could join the Blue Man Group.
SO WHAT IS A BLUE MAN?
According to the show’s creators, The Blue Man character “is a mystical, magical, mute being – a hero and a clown, a child and a shaman that defies description as readily as it welcomes speculation.”
WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE A BLUE MAN/WOMAN?
- Lots of energy and endurance!
- Athletic build
- Solid percussion/drum skills
- Excellent acting skills â€“ the ability to communicate honestly within the dramatic circumstance and the ability to express emotions and communicate non-verbally
- Open to exploring an alternative acting style
- Able to let your ego go and embrace a collaborative working environment
- Dynamic, charismatic personality
- Willing to travel and /or relocate
HOW DO YOU GET AN AUDITION?
The Blue Man Casting team travels the US and abroad looking for potential Blue Men and Musicians. For the most current casting calls info, check the Blue Man website.
To really get a jump on the competition, submit your information online. Include your headshot and resume and a list of any instruments you play. Make it memorable and the casting team may contact you for an appointment.
If you’re partial to snail mail and glossy photos, send your stuff to:
Blue Man Productions Casting
599 Broadway, Fifth Floor
New York, NY 10012
WHAT’S THE AUDITIONING PROCESS?
Phase One: Auditions
Step 1: Drumming Audition
Lasts 5-15 minutes and allows the casting team a taste of your drumming skills, as well as information on “how well your overall musicality matches up with the needs of the character.”
Step 2: Acting Auditions
- The acting auditions offer the casting team their first opportunity to look at the your range and thought process. Blue Man â€œlanguageâ€ is introduced, as the casting team supplies you with a vocabulary on which to build the understanding of the character.
- The second audition builds upon the foundation of the character vocabulary introduced in the first audition. The casting team offers further insight into what the character might be thinking in certain situations to help you build a framework for developing choices. Together, the group works on a scene that is based on one in a Blue Man Group show.
Phase Two: Callbacks
Step 1: Workshop
At this point in the process, the environment is more like a rehearsal than an audition. You’ll participate in a 2-day workshop that is broken into three sessions, in which you work with members of the Casting and Direction teams (Direction teams include actual Blue Men who perform full-time in the shows).
The content of each workshop varies depending on your individual needs during the audition. The Casting team and Direction teams may teach parts from the show, work on elements of acting or music, or address technical issues such as physicality.
The workshop is concluded by a â€œBald and Blueâ€ presentation of the work to a panel of Directors, including the casting team. This means that you have an opportunity to be seen in costume and makeup.
Note: This process is tailored to the individual, so some steps may be skipped or repeated.
ARE THERE AUDITIONS HAPPENING NOW?
Yes, open call today in SF:
San Francisco Open Casting Call
Monday, November 13, 2006
Stage 250 @ Off-Market Theatre
965 Mission Street
By appointment only in NY and LA. Your best bet is to send your info online or send your resume and headshots to the casting teams at the addresses below:
599 Broadway, 5th floor
New York, NY 10012
Los Angeles Auditions by Appointment Only
Monday, October 9, 2006
Please send submissions by October 2 online or
to BMP Casting 599 Broadway, 5th fl NY, NY 10012
By the by, the Blue Man Group is also looking for good musicians.Â The audtions are shorter: Just an initial audition and a callback (hopefully).Â No need to read music, just be able to learn songs quickly and play them back on command.Â You’ll need to play drums, guitar and/or bass.Â Apply online.
Hope to see you in Blue!